Emergency First Aid at Work with Catastrophic Bleeding
A basic knowledge of First Aid will not enable you to deal effectively with a traumatic, catastrophic bleed (bleeding out). Catastrophic bleeding is life-threatening and will kill in minutes. Effective methods of stopping the bleeding is crucial and is a must have skill for a number of trades, industries and professions.
This course will advise on the inherent dangers associated with the use of tourniquets and haemostatic dressings, whilst administering first aid in a high-risk environment. Designed and developed to meet the requirements of industries that consider themselves to be at high risk the course will equip the user with the necessary skills and knowledge on how to apply a tourniquet and haemostatic dressings in the event of an emergency.
Run over 6-hours, the course will involve elements of roleplay, group work and practical demonstrations.
- Changes to the guidelines
- Catastrophic external bleeding, control measures and equipment
- Recognising a catastrophic external bleed
- Catastrophic external bleed control measures
- Casualty aftercare
- Dangers of the incorrect use of tourniquets and haemostatic products
Emergency First Aid
- The roles and responsibilities
- The priorities of first aid
- Managing an incident
- Treatment of an unconscious casualty
- Treatment for major bleeds and shock
- Common workplace injuries
- Heart attack, asthma, seizures
- Anaphylactic shock and use of an EpiPen
All candidates must attend the full course to pass. Each candidate is continually assessed throughout and must demonstrate competence in all the assessed skills.
To complete this qualification learners should expect to undertake 7 hours of learning, typically over one day, with a minimum contact time of 6 hours.
The 1-day (6 hour) Emergency First Aid at Work qualification is valid for 3 years. After that time, you can requalify by completing another 1-day Emergency First Aid at Work course.
To book this course
We can arrange this course anywhere in the UK with four or more delegates.
- Individuals (open courses) £85
- In-house (up to 12 candidates) – Contact us for prices
- Class Size: 12 people maximum
- Duration: 6 hours guided learning – over 1 day (excluding breaks)
- Certifications: Certificates are valid for 3 year